Wednesday, February 19, 2014

RECIPES: Bacon and Chicken Bombs



Food, it is one of life's many essentials. It keeps us alive. Food brings people together and for some, inspired. For me food is love. I have come to nurture this passion for food. That of course involves digging into it and for the past couple of years the love of making delectable dishes for the people dear to me It all started with recalling those sumptuous aromas from my mom's kitchen, the holiday feasts my folks would prepare, our weekly family restaurant escapades and all those memories I could make of from my childhood. I love to eat, I LOVE FOOD, IT JUST DOESN'T LOVE ME BACK THAT MUCH. Since i like stuffing myself with good food and filling my tummy to the brim, I thought why not learn how to make it. And so my adventure in the kitchen began. Now, not only do I love to eat but also to cook for the people I love,family and friends alike. 



 I dream to become good at culinary one day, even without formal education about it. Who knows, maybe one day I might be able to make one of my dreams come true, to have my own food haven, a restaurant. 



Bacon and Chicken Bombs

Ingredients:
Skinless (and boneless) chicken breasts or fillets
1 cup fully cooked ham (minced or chopped into tiny bits)
1/2 inch cubes of cheddar cheese
as much bacon you want (cured or not is ok)
3 tbsps olive oil
1 cup chicken broth (the type that you let simmer for a long time, consists of chicken bones and meat, leeks, onions, carrots,etc)
OR 1 cup of chicken broth made with a cup of water and half a chicken bouillion
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:

1. Flatten each piece of chicken to 1/4 inch thickness. I prefer pounding on it with the back of a knife's blade to tenderize and make it pliableit at the same time. Cut each strip to 1 and a half strips.

2. Place some minced ham across each strip of chicken, then place a cube of cheese at the end of each strip. Then carefully roll them up, yes, like you would a shanghai roll.

3. Take a cut up strip of bacon, (or if you're rich and you have a loads of bacon supply use an whole strip for each bomb, hihi) and wrap it around each rolled up chicken. Make sure each bomb is fully wrapped with bacon. Secure the end with a toothpick.



4. Once done with the roll and wrap process, heat a non-stick skillet at medium heat. cook bombs in olive oil until bacon is crispy. Be mindful not to let the bombs blow up while cooking ;) This will take about 10 minutes per batch.

5. Add the broth, salt and pepper to the skillet and let boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 10-15mins or until chicken juices run clear (TAKE NOTE BEGINNERS: until juices run clear, not until they're burnt ok)

6. Serve warm with choice of Ceasar dressing or Garlic Ranch dip.



TIPS:
*bombs are also great even without dressings or dips, you can try honey mustard sauce too
*bombs may be eaten as a viand or as bite sized snacks or whatever as long as you eat it :)
*these may also be covered in beer batter (for the drunkards). After it's been fully cooked, coat each bomb in beer batter and cook in olive oil again :)
*make sure to remove the toothpicks before you present them to kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment